Friday, October 5, 2012

No cook easy peasy Matcha Tiramisu



Matcha is quite possibly the easiest tea to cook with. Because its fine flour like texture, you can drop a little spoonful of it into just about any drink or food to add the green tea touch!

I am not sure if I ever had Matcha Tiramisu, but my liking of Tiramisu makes me think this could be quite nice. Perhaps a more healthy version of Tiramisu ;)

I want to keep it simple, as my helper is only near 3 year old. Fortunately I found the Happy Home Baking blog with a wonderfully simply, no cooking recipe.

See our Matcha Tiramisu recipe

Filling:
250g mascarpone cheese
2 tablespoons icing sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons matcha* powder
200 ml non-dairy whipping cream

Matcha "Bath":
1 tablespoon matcha* powder

1/2 cup (125ml) boiling water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon Grand Marnier

about 24 sponge fingers (savoiardi)
extra matcha* powder for dusting


Matcha is a green tea powder from Japan. For Matcha afficionado, there are 2 grades - food grade, which is often more like a powdered sencha, and a tea ceremony grade, which is made from the same premium tea leaves as gyokuro, called Tencha.

For my own learning, I have tried a lot of matcha lately. The very common Matcha sold in little green can from Ujinotsuyu is unfortunately sand like when compared to any half decent matcha (more of this on another blog post later).

So go and get some decent matcha, food grade is good enough for food and it is pretty expensive already. A little goes a long way, and you can make, besides this too-easy-too-evil Matcha Tiramisu, you can also try Matcha Latte, Matcha pancake and of course Matcha icecream :)